Monday, December 27, 2010

Allergic to Horses? I am

Its a long winding story but if you have some allergies or know someone with allergies, you might find yourself happy to take a time out and read.

I found out I had allergies when I was in bed sick, 3 out of 4 weeks for two months when I was in my late teens. Okay so it started when I was little. My mom mentioned she had to find goats milk for me, but I grew out of it, except I hadn't grown out of it. Not much else happened till I got SICK. Ended up at a nice doctor who specialized in allergies, he started do prick tests (I do not remember the official name), turns out I was allergic to a whole bunch of things, three of which stood out, I was allergic to Horses, Dogs and Cats. On the day I found out I was allergic to Dogs his receptionist gave me a dog :-).

You are going what! He put together a shot regiment that I started, what a difference, it helped a lot. A few years later was starting to have problems again. Having talked about having allergies with some friends, I was much more knowledgeable and decided to try a natural path allergy person.

I was impressed on the first visit. She was able to help me understand and accept quickly by going over the starting information I had from the doctor. By the end of the first visit I had a list 3 times as long and a lot more knowledge. She asked good questions and shared lots of information. Will admit to a bit of information overload when I left. Some items stood out, I was allergic to oranges. So when I would get sick and of course you eat oranges to get better, eating oranges would actually help me stay sick.

My being sick in bed was caused in part by my being allergic to the material my braces were made of. Ouch. Allergies are not to be taken lightly. The good news is that knowledge continues to improve. With the help of first the doctor and now natural path allergists I continue to enjoy being around Horses, Dogs, and Cats.

A friend mentioned that her son was allergic to milk, she was informed that it was important as it effects how kids breath, which effects how the mouth grows which effects the need for braces. Me I had an allergy to milk and I had to have braces, in my case it did have an effect. Parents need to be careful as kids do not outgrow their allergies, their symptoms may change as they grow, which is why treatment is important.

Hope this helps someone who may be allergic to Horses to understand that with treatment they too can enjoy being around horses.

No comments: